Stratford November – December 2018 – www.visitstratford.ca
Stratford, ON) We’re beginning to look a lot like Christmas as shopkeepers dress their windows in fresh cedar garland and twinkling lights tied with big red bows. Find the unexpected and latest trends in home décor, culinary must-haves and gift giving in Stratford. We’ll help you prepare for and celebrate the holidays with renewed life.
Explore the Christmas Trail to capture the spirit of giving and the joy of checking off that list. You’ll discover unique and individual gift ideas when you stroll our festive streets. We’ve made it easy to kick off your holiday shopping with six gifts for just $30(+HST) and 25 stops to choose from.
And because it’s Stratford….. be on the lookout for seven swans a swimming. Purchase your pass at Stratford Tourism, 47 Downie Street before December 20 when the trail offers end. (Valid: November 1- December 20)
Shopping in Stratford presents a unique joy as you happen upon funky finds, eclectic shops and edgy boutiques.
· Visit us for highly anticipated Christmas Open Houses at Bradshaws (Nov 9) and Rheo Thompson Candies (Nov 4) to see the first of the holiday trends and gifts.
· Come back for the downtown open house weekend Nov 24-25
· Admire the Gospel Echoes quilting handiwork at their annual auction (Nov 2-3) at the Rotary Complex.
· The St. Marys Craft Show takes place at the Pyramid Centre in St. Marys (Nov 3).
· Plan a day out with friends for the Rotary Christmas Craft Festival, Stratford Rotary Complex (Nov 9-11).
· Sip wine as you chat with the artisans at the Start the Holidays Art Show and Sale, at Factory163 where the built heritage character complements the artisanal creativity (Dec 8-9).
Music makes our celebrations special and connects us with the spirit of the season whether it be traditional carols or new innovations.
· Bring friends to support Stratford Summer Music Over the Top Gala Fundraiser, Festival Theatre - Marquee (Nov 2).
· Reserve your tickets to the Stratford Symphony Orchestra’s Revival House Classical Brunch (Nov 18)
· Don’t miss the one-of-a-kind Acoustic Christmas Songwriters Circle concert featuring Canadian song-writers Royal Wood, Peter Katz, Andrew Allen and Trent Severn’s Dayna Manning at the Avondale Concert Hall (Nov 23).
· Share the tradition of the Messiah performed with orchestra and presented by Stratford Concert Choir, St. Joseph’s Church (Dec 8)
· INNERchamberPresents Shining Light at Factory163 (Nov 25)
· Enjoy the intimacy of a Christmas Sing Along (Dec 14), presented by Stratford Symphony Orchestra at the Falstaff Family Centre.
· For more relaxed entertainment, plan to visit Boar’s Head Pub featuring lively weekend entertainment.
Culinary Delights Share our passion for food bringing friends and family together. Mark your calendar for these delicious experiences.
· Junction 56 Distillery’s much anticipated whisky release takes place November 3. Their holiday open house (Dec 8) and spirited tours introduce you to the making of craft spirits, an opportunity to taste and ask questions of the crafters while stocking the holiday bar. (Saturdays at 11am)
· Stratford Chefs School invites you to an array of culinary classes for the home cook. Learn to make bread (Nov 4). Create holiday hors d’oeuvres (Nov 11). Find out the secrets of making the best stocks and soups (Nov 18). Knife sharpening for beginners (Nov 25) and Advanced knife sharpening (Nov 25) build important foundations for successful cooking. Learn to make the best festive brunch (Dec 2) and great fried chicken (Dec 2). Stratford Chefs School dinners prepared by their students take place Tuesday through Saturday at the new Stratford Chef School Kitchens. Student created menus as well as International inspirations are paired with wine and can be reserved online.
· The Milky Whey Fine Cheese shop presents Canadian cheese and wine pairing (Nov 10), Who’s got your goat with pinots on the side (Nov 24) and Deconstructing a holiday charcuterie board workshop (Dec 1). Great fun for friends to experience or for you to learn for at home entertaining.
· Express your Canadian pride at a Coast to Coast to Coast dinner at The Bruce (Nov 10). Sunday Wine Classes at The Bruce – Canadian wines (Nov 18). The Great Gingerbread House Build at The Bruce is a fabulous afternoon of creative fun for your family (Nov 24) and Christmas Tree lighting in the evening. Take a holiday baking class (Dec 8). Take a special friend to Afternoon tea (Nov 24) and book Tea with Santa at The Bruce (Dec 9), perfect for sharing the children’s wish lists.
· Bradshaws Holiday High Tea at Revival House (Nov 25) offers a time to explore a selection of fine teas, house-made holiday treats and live music.
· Scotch and Chocolate Pairing, presented by Rheo Thompson Candies and Revival House (Dec 16) has become an annual tradition not to be missed. Perfect for the novice, yet exciting for the veteran as new options are presented.
Family Holiday Fun
· Stratford’s Outdoor Christmas Market, A Very Victorian Christmas returns to Market Square (Nov 25) including art, music, Santa and children’s crafts in the City Hall. Enjoy a festive outing, vibrant outdoor market and complimentary carriage rides through Stratford’s heritage downtown.
· Santa’s Parade of Lights winds its way through downtown Stratford during this evening parade, a season tradition (Nov 25)
· Breakfast with Santa at The Parlour (Nov 26, Dec 3 & 10). Here’s a family favourite adding to the excitement and fun of the holidays.
· Cookie bake, take and donate at revel (Dec 12) is perfect for families as you make cookies together and share with others.
· St. Marys: Hop aboard horse drawn carriages to ride through the park and admire beautiful festive light displays (selected dates). Display opens November 16 following the Santa Claus Parade and will be lit nightly for all to enjoy, just a 20 minute drive from Stratford. (Milt Dunnell Field, ST. MARYS until January 6). St. Marys welcomes you to the Downtown Merchants Open House (Nov 25) along with specials and holiday workshops.
· Castle Kilbride, a National Treasure, shines with the lavish splendour of Victorian holiday decorations. See the miniature Victorian village and participate in an evening celebration (Dec 6) for Kilbride hospitality.
From: Cathy Rehberg, Marketing Manager, Stratford Tourism Alliance, 47 Downie Street Stratford, ON N5A 1W7. PH: 519-271-5140 or 800-561-7926 or M :519-703-5062 firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: StratfordON Twitter: @StratfordON Instagram: VisitStratfordON Photos and interviews can be arranged.