Stratford Loves Culture!
STRATFORD, ON, (September 17, 2012) – Nearly 7,000 free activities will take place in some 800 communities across Canada for the third annual Culture Days on September 28 to 30, 2012, including more than 70 activities that are planned to take place here in Stratford and Perth County.
“The growth of Culture Days since its inception just three years ago has been monumental,” said Antoni Cimolino, General Director and Artistic Director designate of the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, and Chair of the Culture Days National Steering Executive Committee.
“The cultural community and the general public are clearly united in their passion for this creative movement. Participating communities, artists, cultural groups and organizations have multiplied, and Canadians have responded by coming out in droves for the opportunity to familiarize and engage themselves with many of these exciting and inspiring local activities.
The third annual Culture Days will be celebrated in hundreds of cities and towns from coast to coast to coast, with thousands of free activities from a wide range of disciplines including: visual arts, music, dance, theatre, architecture, heritage, film and video, literature, culinary arts and new media. 1.2 million Canadians participated in over 6,000 activities spanning over 800 communities during Culture Days 2011. The momentum continues to build and participation in Culture Days 2012 is anticipated to surpass last year’s.
Check out some of the many free and fun Culture Days activities in Stratford and Perth County September 28-30 including:
· Stratford Shakespeare Festival Costume Warehouse Tours – Sunday at 9:30, 10, 10:30 and 11 a.m., 350 Douro Street, Stratford.
· Craft Sale at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival – Saturday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Festival Theatre, Stage Door, 55 Queen Street, Stratford.
· Birmingham Conservatory Shakespeare Text Class – Sunday, 11 a.m., Studio Theatre, 34 George Street East, Stratford.
· Meet the Faux Food Artist and Props Builder, Carolyn Horley – Saturday & Sunday at Factory 163.
· Hermione Presents: What’s on the Burner – Saturday, 8 p.m. at Factory 163.
· Bay Street Ontario Cottage Heritage & Yard Sale Event – Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Random Acts of Music – Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. at Schinbein’s Music, 117 St. Andrew Street, Mitchell
· Genealogical Puzzles: Finding the Missing Pieces – Saturday, 2 to 4 p.m. at 260 Main Street West, Listowel
· The Other Hand Puppet Troupe: Show & Chat – Sunday, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 2 p.m. at Factory 163
· Hermione Presents and Perth Arts Connect – two days of workshops, demonstrations and shows, Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To find out all of the activities that are happening in Stratford and Perth County, visit www.culturedays.ca and plan your Culture Days weekend using the Bright Spots Schedule, presented by Sun Life Financial.
Launched in 2010, Culture Days is a civil society-driven initiative overseen by a National
Steering Committee and volunteer Provincial Task Forces whose members come from a variety of backgrounds including cultural programming, tourism, municipal cultural planning and public engagement who rally their arts and cultural communities to promote the event to the public at the local level.
To learn more, please visit www.culturedays.ca