Waterloo Region – Forty-two sites, many of which are not regularly open to the public, will participate in the eleventh annual Doors Open Waterloo Region (DOWR), Saturday, September 21, 2013.
Doors Open Waterloo Region, a free architecture and heritage open house event, began in 2003.
Thousands of people visit dozens of noteworthy buildings and heritage sites through DOWR every September. Close to 14,000 individual site visits were tallied during the 2012 event.
Most sites are open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but several have shortened hours, so visitors are encouraged to carefully read the individual listings on the map/guide or on the website.
Waterloo Region Modern
Doors Open Waterloo Region always includes interesting modern architecture. This year we’re making a theme of it – Waterloo Region Modern. Eleven of the 42 DOWR sites, built in the last 55 years, fit into this theme.
The Waterloo Region Modern theme sites include the Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre, Waterloo Region Courthouse, OpenText, University of Waterloo Student Design Centre, Waterloo Regional Police Service North Division, Conestoga Engineering and Information Technology Campus, North House, The Clay and Glass, The Centre In The Square, Highland Baptist Church, and the Islamic Centre of Cambridge.
The 31 other participating sites include many first-time participants and some popular sites from past events. Whether you favour buildings from the 19th, 20th or 21st century, you’ll discover great places to go behind-the-scenes during Doors Open Waterloo Region.
Where can I find out more information about the Doors Open Waterloo Region event?
- Look for the special map & guide at libraries, museums and tourist offices across Waterloo Region from July until September 15 (? date: 21?), or in the Advertising section of the Saturday, September 8 (? date: 14?) edition of the Waterloo Region Record
- Photos and details of all of the Doors Open Waterloo Region sites can be viewed through links at www.regionofwaterloo.ca/doorsopen. Check out the website now and pick your own must-see sites!
- ‘Like’ our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doors-Open-Waterloo-Region/82880538162
- Follow us on Twitter @DoorsOpenWR
p.s. check our website this summer for information on:
· Children’s activities, music, drama presentations, heritage displays and other special events
Doors Open Waterloo Region 2013 is presented by the Region of Waterloo, and generously supported by The Record, CTV, City of Waterloo, City of Kitchener, City of Cambridge, and the Townships of Wilmot and North Dumfries.
For more information about Doors Open Waterloo Region go to www.regionofwaterloo.ca/doorsopen call 519-747-5139, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.